Selecting best water purifier for the family can be a difficult decision and it becomes more complex when we don’t have sufficient knowledge. I faced the same problem while selecting best water purifier for my home, after searching a lot on the internet finally decided to purchase RO Water Purifier. Today I am going to share some points that might help you purchasing water purifier. In this post, I will tell you about different technologies which will be best for your locality because water purifier is totally dependent upon water supply of your region.
Best Water Purifier Buying Guide
These 5 points below will tell you about what kind of water supply is needed for water purifier. What TDS levels are good for your health. Go through these 5 points to get clear idea of what are basic reasons to purchase water purifier
1. What kind of water supply is coming at your home?
This is the first deciding factor for best water purifier and source of water should be observed carefully because this will decide whether your water needs removal of dissolved salts that are not required by the body or your water contains germs and viruses which will affect your health. There are some heavy metals like lead, mercury, arsenic etc. which needs to be removed from water because human body cannot get rid of these heavy metals and they keep on accumulating in the body causing health problems. Water from many sources contains germs, bacteria, viruses which cause water-borne diseases like cholera, typhoid and dysentery etc. We should cleverly choose our water purifier although it might cost some burden but in the end, it will keep you away from doctors and costly medicines having side effects on the body. Below is a table to show what are different kinds of water supply present in India with some suggestion for water purifiers.
|Water Supply||Germs Level||TDS Level||Purifier Type|
|Underground water, Borewell or water supplied from Tankers||High in Bacteria and viruses||High TDS (Hard Water)||RO + UV|
|Underground water, tube well or Salty water||Low bacteria and viruses in water||High TDS (Hard Water)||RO|
|Surface water from rivers, lakes or rain harvesting supplied by the municipality||Low bacteria, viruses, germs in water||Soft water||UV|
2. What is TDS level or Hardness of water?
We heard a lot about TDS (Total Dissolved Salts) which helps to calculate hardness or softness of the water. Water contains lots of dissolved impurities and salts which are harmful to body these should be removed from the water before drinking. There are many heavy metals like arsenic, mercury and lead present in water which should be removed because our body can never get rid of these metals and they keep on accumulating causing health problems in the longer run and short life span. RO purifiers can easily convert hard water into soft water and make it fit for drinking.
Now you must be thinking how to check the hardness of water. There are TDS meter available in the market which will measure the hardness of water or you can purchase online, these meters are not very costly it might range from Rs. 300 – Rs. 1000 online check HM TDS-3 meter mostly used by people because of its accuracy. HM TDS-3 meter is Best water purifier testing meter, it also shows temperature.I would strongly recommend purchasing TDS meter because it will not only help to make an easy decision for purifier it will also help you every month to check your purifier performance. Below is a table showing TDS level hardness.
|TDS Level||Water Hardness|
|0-80||Very Soft (Ideal for drinking)|
|80-150||Soft (might be used for drinking)|
|150-400||Hard (use RO Purifier)|
|Above 400||Very Hard (use RO + UV Purifier)|
3. What are different kind of purifying technologies present in the market?
There are mainly 3 different types of purification technology present in the market.
- RO (Reverse Osmosis) this is widely used technology to purify water containing a high level of salts in water and make it unfit for drinking. In this method water is passed through a semi-permeable membrane under high pressure to remove dissolved impurities. RO purification is mainly used for Salty, Khara or Hard water. This technique requires electricity to purify water and produce lots of waste water.
- UV (Ultra-violet) is water purification method to removes germs, bacteria and viruses from water. This technique uses a Rod producing ultra-violet radiations which are made to pass through water so these radiations can kill germs and viruses present in water. This method also requires electricity but do not generate waste water.
- UF (Ultrafiltration) method uses threads of fibers to remove hardness from the water up to a certain limit. In this method water is passed through microfibers threads which remove salts from water. This method is adopted by plants and trees using its roots as fibers to filter ground water.
4. Which Purification technology is best for your home ?
Based on these purifying technologies different kind of water purifiers is available in the market related to impurities and water supply.
- RO water purifiers are mostly used by people and companies to ensure water does not contain high salts harmful for the body they use a different kind of membranes to purify water.
- UV water Purifiers are generally used to make water free from germs, bacteria and viruses preventing water-borne diseases like cholera and dysentery.
- Gravity based water purifiers are mostly used in the areas facing electricity problem. These purifiers are totally based on Pressure difference, water from higher chamber moves to lower chamber fitted with germ kit and filters in-between these chambers to purify water. These purifiers can only be used for soft water containing a low level of dissolved salts since they do not use electricity purification level is not very good. These purifiers are available at a lower price range Rs. 1000-4000 in the market.
- A combination of purifying technologies in this method different purifying technology is used to filter water. Universal Purifiers which can be used with any type of water without worrying about the supply of water they use RO + UV + UF purification technology to give best clean and pure water. These purifiers are fully automatic, check the water level and then apply purification technique to clean water. RO + UV purifiers they can be used for sources containing hard water as they remove extra salts and kills germs from water making it safe for drinking purpose.
5. Is company reliable?
This is the final step for selecting best water purifier, once you decide the type of purifier pay attention to the product of a company. Brand selection is very important because purifiers need service in every 2-3 month of duration so a company with best after sales service is a good choice because it feels very bad if customer relation of a company is not good. Also, big brand cost little more but their products are reliable because they use the best quality of membranes and filters running for a longer period of time giving better results.
Also, Read 7 quick steps to select water purifier for home
Top 10 water purifier comparison table
A comparison table of most selling and highest rated water purifiers present at online stores. Check details and find best one for you.
Top 5 water purifier reviews
We have selected 5 best water Purifier available in the market depending upon their performance, maintenance, user rating and after sales support. Let’s take a closer look at each one of them.
#1 Aquaguard Geneus RO + UV +UF 7L Water Purifier
This is the best water purifier because you don’t need to worry about the supply of water at your home. It automatically detects hardness of water level and applies the best technique to provide purified water. Geneus is a Universal water purifier which can purify any source of water containing high or low TDS levels. As the name says GENEUS, this purifier is geneus in its purification technology it senses the water supply and then use either RO + UV/UF + UV combination to purify water. Geneus also comes with various other smart features like intel e-boiling, taste enhancer, Electronic life membrane enhancer. Some features make this machine stand out from the crowd and makes it best-selling product.
- Recommended for municipal water supply, borewell or tanker, this purifier senses the quality of water and chooses the purification technology to purify.
- Taste guard technology ensure water is tasty and it should not remove some minerals important for the body, unlike other RO purifiers which remove most minerals and make water bad in taste.
- Purification technologies senses the quality of water and choose the optimum purification technology either RO + UV/UF + UV to purify water. The RO technology membrane removes excess TDS, blocks dissolved impurities and chemical contaminants while UV technology ensures water is free from germs, viruses, bacteria. The UF technology is a capillary tube based technology that gives you pure and crystal clear water.
- Intelligent e-boiling ensure water is safe and boiled over 20 minutes.
- Electronic membrane life enhancer prevents the accumulation of dissolved salts like calcium and magnesium on the membrane and enhances the service life of the membrane and improves water flow.
- Maintenance warning gives warning when membrane needs to be replaced and servicing is required.
- Reserve mode so a consumer can extend the life of membranes up to 20 working hours.
- LED Display gives information about the water level in the tank, filter life status, fault indicator and water taste indicator. MRP. 22,990
|Purification Method||RO + UV + UF|
|Filtration Capacity||15 L/hr|
|Input water TDS Levels||1 – 2000 (mg/l) ppm|
|Installation||Table Top, Wall Mount|
|Indicators||LED Display, Water Level Sensor|
|Power Requirement||230 V AC, 50 Hz, 45W|
|Net Weight||11.8 kg|
|Extra Features||I-cartridge, Chemical Block, EMLE (Electronic Membrane Life Enhancer), RO Membrane, UF Cartridge, Post Active Silver Carbon Cartridge, UV Treatment, TDS Reduction: 90% in RO Mode, Percentage of Water Recovery: 25% in RO Mode, Life of UV Lamp: 5000 Burning Hours, RO Membrane: 75 GPD, Storage Tank, Booster Pump Voltage 24V DC|
With all these features and smart technology, this is a good product to purchase in the market. It also looks good in design. Aquaguard is a reputed brand name in water purifiers because of good services and better customer relations. People have given positive reviews about this product regarding best performance and reliable after sales support.
Lowest Price Online Rs. 19,999
#2 Kent Grand RO + UV 8L Water Purifier
If you are looking for RO + UV water purifier this purifier from kent can be your best choice. If water supply have high TDS level then going for RO purifier is a good option but it is seen hard water also contain bacteria and disease causing germs. I would suggest combining the power of RO technology with UV (ultra-violet) technology which kills all disease-causing germs, bacteria and viruses from water and gives pure healthy drinking water. Kent Purifier is a naked design which comes handy while cleaning and servicing. Don’t worry about water supply from an overhead tank, bore-well, municipal corporation kent will do its job of giving clean, pure and tasty water. It’s TDS meter will maintain essential minerals like calcium and potassium in water which might be removed during RO process.
Recommended for Hard water containing TDS above 500ppm or water supply is from an overhead tank, a bore-well, or from the municipal corporation.
- Triple protection RO + UV + TDS Regulator this technology ensure water is filtered by RO so Hardness of water is removed along with UV killing all germs of water and finally TDS to enhance the taste of water by adding important minerals.
- Fully automatic & computer controlled operations kent has auto on & off switch which automatically detects when water is needed. It also tells about when UV lamp and RO membranes need maintenance so you don’t need to maintain service schedule.
- Ease of use The Kent Grand water purifier with a transparent cover is especially easy to use and clean. Apart from having the ability to purify up to 15L of water per hour, the Kent Grand also uses high quality, food grade, non-breakable, transparent ABS Plastic body, which makes it easy to see the water and the mechanics inside, as well as ensure its safety. MRP online 13,999
|Purification Method||RO + UV Water Purifier|
|Filtration Capacity||15L/ hour|
|Power Requirement||60 watts|
|Extra features||High quality, food grade, non-breakable, transparent ABS quality plastic body, auto on & off, Alert alarm|
This Kent purifier is good for home use and it is also in the budget as well. This is an old model from kent but still works better you can look for Kent grand+ if you want more features. Many people are complaining about Kent services in some areas especially south India, kindly look brand services in your area because purifier needs service every 3 months to change filters. One of my friends use this purifier and it still works best for him.
Right now selling for Rs. 13,999 online.
#3 Tata Swach Viva Silver UV + UF 6 L Water Purifier
If you or your family members are regularly falling sick you should consider installing a UV water purifier at your home because water contains many harmful bacteria and viruses which make human body weak causing water borne diseases like typhoid, cholera, dysentery etc. This purifier from tata looks good in design and also has a tough body it will make your kitchen shine. Tata swach viva is fitted with UV and UF filters which have 4 purification stages to clean water from viruses and several other harmful dissolved salts in water. It has a 6 liters zero contaminant tank and the only purifier with a storage tank in the category. The silver action inside with silver impregnation imparts longer life to the cartridge. The advanced indicators provide you with intelligent information and inform the status and the health of the system.
- Recommended for soft water having TDS level below 300ppm and if the water supply is coming from nearby lakes, rivers, water harvesting supplied by the municipality.
- 4 Stages of Purification Viva Silver purifier has 4 purification stages and filters water using UV and UF technology to provide clean and pure water.
- Easy to use and maintain it has zero contamination tank which saves the problem of cleaning tank. Front panel opening for easy service and voltage spike guard. It also has UV fault indicator and auto switch off to kill water supply.
|Purification Method||4 Purification stages with UV + UF|
|Net Weight, Dimension||6.5Kg, 240 x 440 x 392 mm|
|Extra Features||Advanced Indication Panel Provides Intelligent Information, UV Fault Indication, zero contamination storage tank, Inlet Water Switch Off Mechanism, Silver Action Inside for Longer Cartridge Life, Front Panel Opening for Easy Service|
Swach is a nice product from Tata which makes water free from germs and viruses they have used good filters specially silver technology used because silver is recommended for UV purification method. Customer service is also good as said by many customers at online shopping sites.Tata Swach can be your best water purifier because it is low cost and has a low maintenance cost. It is easy to maintain and services cost is also very low which makes it a good product to purchase.
Amazon offering it at low-cost Rs. 6,500
#4 Aquaguard Enhance RO 7L Water Purifier
RO water purifier converts Hard water into soft water which means they remove Impure salts that are harmful to the body. If you are living in the area where water is salty or blakish then you should consider installing an RO water purifier. This purifier saves 30% more water during purification and reduces production of waste water because normal RO technique removes impure water in the form of waste water. This water purifier eliminates tough, new age contaminants like lead, pesticides and heavy metals from water. It ensures that water is free from disease-causing bacteria, virus, and protozoa. Enhance RO comes with a 7-litre inbuilt storage tank, thereby, ensuring purified water on tap all the time. This Aquaguard purifier looks good in design and its body is made of hard plastic overall it gives a nice and clean look in the kitchen.
- Recommended for Salty / Khaara / Brackish Water.
- Best for high TDS water its advanced RO membrane technology removes excess TDS and blocks impurities and chemical contaminants dissolved in water giving you sweet tasting water.
- Advanced Mineral guard technology removes dangerous new age contaminants like lead, pesticides while retaining essential natural minerals in water, that other RO purifiers deplete.
- Electronic Membrane life enhancer which removes dissolved salts like calcium and magnesium on the membrane and increases the life of purifier.
- saves wastage of more than 30% water.
|Purification Method||RO for high TDS water|
|Filtration Capacity||12 litre/minute|
|Installation||Table Top, Wall Mount|
|Power Requirement||230 V AC, 50 Hz, 40W|
|Input TDS Range||500 – 1500 mg/L(ppm)|
|Net Weight, Dimension||8.2Kg, 316 x 251 x 462 mm|
|Extra Features||Enhance water taste, leak-proof performance, retain essential mineral in water|
This is a good product from a trusted brand Eureka Forbes and it is best suited for high TDS water, a low-cost maintenance product as membranes are made to work longer. Aquaguard looks good in design so it improves status and feel of the kitchen. People at online stores love this product because of the quality of Purified water and after sales service provided by the company.
Current price is around Rs. 9,999 online.
#5 Pureit Classic 14 L Gravity Water Purifier
Pureit is a product from renowned company Hindustan Unilever it’s been there in the market for a very long time. I have personally used this product in past when our supply was from treated source having low TDS level and it provides clean and pure water without changing the taste of water. These gravity based water purifier can be a choice if your source contains soft water. These purifiers are best for areas receiving frequent power cut or areas having no electricity because these purifiers do not require electricity for cleaning water. Pureit claims to kill 1 crore viruses in 1 liter of water, its body is made up of food safe non-toxic plastic and provide clean stored water.
- Recommended for soft water supply containing low TDS and water coming from already treated sources like dam water or treated river water supply.
- Removes 1 crore viruses from 1 liter of water.
- Auto Shut off when germ kill kit is exhausted and turns indicator red.
- Easy to use- it can be easily installed in kitchen and filters can be easily replaced by an individual. do not require electricity to clean water and filters are of low cost so maintenance is easy.
|Purification Method||Gravity Based|
|Power Requirement||No electricity required|
|Storage||Total capacity 14L, Store 5L|
|Net Weight, Dimension||2.4Kg, 247 x 491 x 253 mm|
|Extra Features||Food Safe, Non-Toxic, Engineering Plastic, Auto shut off|
HUL Pureit classic can be best water purifier for those have tight budget or electricity is a major problem. I have personally used this product earlier and results were good, filters could be easily changed after sales service was also good, the cost of filters is also cheap so it won’t burden your pocket. Purifier gives clean and pure water without changing the taste of water. Pureit can be purchased from the market at a price around Rs. 1600 and there are lots of offer online stores.
Hope this post might help you make a better decision in selecting best water purifier, share your comments below or ask questions I would be happy to help you. Will come up with some more interesting post related to water purifiers. I shared most of the necessary things you should know before purchasing water purifier. You can purchase from online stores easily because they offer the same warranty as you would get from a local store at higher discounted price. After sales service will be covered by the company so you don’t need to worry about warranty because it will be same.