UV stands for Ultra Violet Rays, these radiations are part of the light. They are specific to a certain wavelength. Ultraviolet rays are used in UV water purifier. UV rays are used for many purposes like in laboratories to test chemicals, in chemical reactions, to study compounds, filter water etc. UV rays are harmful to humans so direct exposure is should be avoided. These are also used as a technology to disinfect water from various disease-causing germs, viruses, bacteria, protozoa and other micro-organisms.
What is UV water Purification technology ?
This is the best method to disinfect bacteria from water. UV purification technology uses ultraviolet Rays to kill microorganisms causing disease. UV rays penetrate DNA of microorganism and change their DNA code so they no longer multiplicate, even they are killed. UV purification technology is simple and environment-friendly. It does not use any chemical to disinfect microorganisms also don’t add odour and smell to the water.
UV method is 99.9% effective in killing germs and harmful microorganisms from the water. It should be used if water supply might contain E.coli, cryptosporidium, giardia or any other kind of virus or bacteria. UV purification not only kills viruses it also stops their multiplication by changing DNA codes which is very effective compared to chlorination. Adding Chemicals to water is harmful because it creates by-products which are not good for health.
Working of UV Water Purifier
UV technology disinfects water by changing DNA code of bacteria and viruses. Water is made to pass through a UV rod which emits UV-C rays. These UV-C rays penetrate micro-organisms DNA and change it making them inactive and stops growth.
UV-C Rays are of 254-nanometer Bandwidth. This UV lamp is surrounded with Quartz to prevent it from water and short circuits. It is considered UV tube should be placed in such a way that water spend most of the time from it thus maximum water is exposed to Ultraviolet light. That’s why most all Purifiers keep UV rod in the horizontal position because more water comes in contact with light giving germs free water.
UV lamp is simple compared to a tube rod which ranges from 32- 40 W power supply same way UV rod need only this much of electricity to clean water. UV purifiers can be made to work on inverted in homes because they consume less electricity.
Advantages of UV Water Purifier
- No chemical are used like chlorine which leaves harmful by-products.
- Taste and odour free UV technology do not alter the taste of water because there is nothing added. It just uses rays to disinfect water.
- Simple, clean and environment-friendly technique to kill germs and viruses.
- 99.9 % effective in killing germs from water even that without changing the chemical composition of water.
- Requires very little amount of energy to work around 40 watts of energy same as used by tube lights.
- Low maintenance cost just changes UV bulb when it stops working. Not like chlorination and ozonation technologies which require efforts and maintenance.
- Compatible with all kind of water purification technologies like Reverse Osmosis, Ultrafiltration, water softening.
Disadvantages of UV water Purifier
- Ultra Violet Rays only kills disease-causing bacteria and germs, but it does not remove their bodies from the water.
- It will not remove heavy and toxic chemicals from water. UV purifier can only be used for water containing viruses and germs.
- UV purifier cannot remove hardness from water. If water supply has lots of minerals or if its TDS level is above 300 ppm then only UV cannot give 100% clean water. Other technologies like RO (Reverse Osmosis) or UF (Ultrafiltration) must be used to block impurities from water.
- It is not effective in removing dead cells, Algae from the water source.
To give 100% pure water UV is combined with either RO(reverse osmosis) or UF (ultrafiltration) technologies. RO and UF blocks all dead cells and dead micro-organisms passed from Ultraviolet chamber, they also block Heavy metals and dissolved salts from water. RO-UV combination is mostly used by companies to provide clean and safe drinking water.
Portable UV Water purifier “SteriPEN”
With the development of technology, there is a time when we cannot carry heavy Water purifiers with us all the time. There is need of Portable UV water purifiers to disinfect water when we are moving or travelling.
SteriPEN is a device which uses UV Light to disinfect water from viruses and SteriPEN is a portable device which is easy to carry. You need to dip SteriPEN in water for at least 45 sec to kill all germs in water. SteriPEN claims to eliminate 99.9% Bacteria, viruses and protozoa from water giving safe water for drinking.
SteriPEN is WQA (Water Quality Association) certified giving its effectiveness. It uses rechargeable battery or cell to Illuminate UV light so it can be easily carried.
If you love travelling a lot or going to picnic then it can be a good choice for you. SteriPEN also comes handy in times of flood or any other natural calamity. You can keep it in first Aid box because you never know when you might need it future because everyone needs clean and pure drinking water every time.